I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 today and faced a list of peculiar problems which I could solve successfully. These pages, I write to help others in troubleshooting Ubuntu on Acer 4740
- Graphics is not compatible with the i3 processor (monitor becomes blank)
- Troubleshoot by updating the kernel version to the most recent one
- Change the X11 configuration file from 'vesa' to 'intel'
- install latest version of telepathy, the problem is solved if not, try lucview installation
- Say cheese. I mean install this application.
- Install new version of alsa driver (www.alsa-project.org)
- while installing alsa driver the installation might stop suddenly showing some error 'patch command not found'
- just install patch. its done.